Built by Thomas Telford, the bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the River Conwy next to Conwy Castle, a World Heritage Site. The bridge was completed in 1826 and replaced the ferry at the same point. Telford matched the bridge's supporting towers with the castle's turrets. It is in the same style as one of Telford's other bridges, the Menai Suspension Bridge crossing the Menai Strait. The Conwy bridge runs alongside the wrought iron tubular railway bridge built by Robert Stephenson. Until Stephenson's bridge was built, Telford's bridge was the only crossing of the river, and therefore the only way to get to the ferry that leaves for Ireland.
Built into the rock on which Conwy Castle stands, it is very close to the castle and very small (only about 2 1/2 metres across). Part of the castle had to be demolished during construction in order for the suspension cables to be anchored into the rock. The new bridge is not the main route across the River Conwy — the crossing of the River Conwy has always been a problem and today the A55 road goes under the river by tunnel — but is the major way across for local traffic.
|Главная страница сайта «Мосты»||-||http://bestbridge.net/index.php|